Sunday 10 April 2011

Technology improves over time

If technology improves over time, why can I still make calls on a phone my grandmother had, yet most cellphones don't make it to their 3rd birthday? And why does a $25 dollar 10-year old dishwasher from Craigs' list only need a 35 dollar part to get it going again, while my new dishwasher, purchased last May, hasn't washed a dish since February, despite numerous phone calls (many of them on my rotary phone) and visits from the tech guy including replacing and shorting out two circuit boards??? makes you wonder.

2 comments:

  1. There's a great documentary about this subject. Can't recall the name - Grant will know. Our new electronic household items and gadgets are meant to break down - consumerism runs the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consumerism indeed - my 1-year old dishwasher hasn't worked since February and I have chapped hands

    ReplyDelete